Calcium is your friend! Calcium is responsible for many critical functions including muscle function, hormonal function and nerve transmission. However, only 1% of the calcium in your body is required for these functions. The remaining 99% is stored in your bones and teeth for support and function.

Consumption of dairy products, which are the best source of calcium, have decreased dramatically in recent years. Consequently, our generation has the weakest bones nutritionists and doctors have ever seen. The Surgeon General’s Report on Bone Health and Osteoporosis states, “By 2020 half of all Americans over 50…” and the International Osteoporosis Foundation states, “By 2050, the worldwide incidence of hip fracture in men is projected to increase by 310% and 240% in women”.

It’s clear that we are lacking calcium! Don’t eat dairy or lactose intolerant? Find other sources of calcium to support your bone health! The RDA for calcium for ages 19-50 is 1000mg/day. Here’s a list of surprising non-dairy calcium sources.